Despite the growing adoption of Android...
Why travel apps are so important?
- According to Cone Communications, mobile apps contribute to brand recognition and reputation;
- About 70% of travelers from all over the world prefer to plan routes with the help of mobile software;
- Most people who travel abroad rely on apps and other digital technologies: they book flights and hotel rooms, order meals and utilize translator programs;
- Finally, smartphone applications are expected to sell 65 billion downloads in 2016.
How can tourism companies benefit from mobile apps?
- Travel agents who take advantage of digital technology are more likely to understand customer behavior and provide them with high-quality service. Mobile marketers and app developers offer numerous instruments to gather feedback, including NPS surveys and built-in review dialogs. User data analysis will give you a plenty of ideas for service improvement;
- Going mobile is a powerful source of promotion. Users willingly engage in new media experiences; if your rivals still underestimate the power of mobile technologies, building an app is a strong competitive advantage. Applications also increase brand awareness, provide seamless web experience (less speed required) and prove to be an easy option for businessmen who failed to make their sites mobile-friendly;
- Applications offer vast opportunities for revenue growth. Tour operators often utilize in-app advertising options, promoting goods and services demanded by travelers. For this purpose, you can partner with insurance companies and sports equipment retailers.
Mobile app ideas to draw inspiration fromHotel Tonight is an application for smartphones, tablets and other digital devices. It provides an opportunity to book hotel rooms across South and North America, Australia and Europe. The app was launched 5 years ago; as of now, the software hit an 11 million download mark. With smart technologies dominating the market, Hotel Tonight’s developers decided to go mobile only, creating a new communication channel for businesses and clients. To study customers’ initial response towards the product, the company held beta testing. It was decided to market the app as a tool for last-minute hotel booking. The vendors heavily relied on word-of-mouth marketing strategies. With no multi-billion budgets, Hotel Tonight became an internationally recognized brand.
Tips from mobile app developersHere’s what vendors with great experience in full-cycle application development suggest:
- Design promotional coupons for in-app usage. Since people want to travel cheap, you can attract more customers by offering discounts and special deals;
- Restrict app’s functionality to minimum to simplify booking process;
- Craft user-friendly feedback dialogs to interact with travelers;
- Employ virtual platforms (a wall chat, for instance) so that users could share their thoughts and experiences;
- Utilize geotargeting (excessive information on places of interest, hotels and restaurants plus emergency phone numbers). Even if a traveler decides to address some other agency, he might return to you later;
- Integrate social media accounts into your mobile application through “Share” options.